Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop

Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop
1050 Broadway in Chesterton, Indiana 46304

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Meet Griffyn Carpenter: Sharpshooter


The other day Valpo fans were surprised to hear that a kid named Griffyn Carpenter was coming to Valpo.  Carpenter is a local kid, for the most part.  A graduate of tiny 1A Triton High School but don't let that fool you.  Griffyn has an extensive offensive arsenal.  His biggest asset is the three point shot.  Lets get to know Griffyn Carpenter a little bit better.


HC: Were you recruited by Valparaiso?
GC: I wasn't really recruited to play it was kind of a spur of the moment thing, I was actually very close to committing to IPFW but ultimately Valpo was were I wanted to be.
HC: What other schools were after you?
GC: I was recruited heavily by IPFW, IUPUI, the University of Indy, North Florida, Jacksonville State, and Anderson.
HC: Why did you pick Valpo?
GC: Valpo is a great place to continue your spiritual and academic career and that is what is most important to me, basketball wise I love the team atmosphere it presents. the program is heading in a great direction and I can't wait to be apart of it!

HC: What are you aspiration for playing basketball at Valpo? The team has too many guys as it is (the guard position is especially deep), so I was surprised to see your name pop up.
GC: I know that in college I won't be looked upon a great deal for much but I'm content with that, I know there are some guards in front of me that are better than me and I look forward to learning from them. I will control what I can and that is my attitude and my work ethic and we will go from there.
HC: What skills do you bring to the court that would be beneficial for Coach Drew?
GC: SHOOTING!!! I shoot the ball extremely well, that is my major advantage, I made over 300 3s in my career at Triton. I have a very good wide range game and I can get to the basket fairly well. I also am very good at posting smaller guards up and I have 5 post moves that I am very confident in.
HC: We saw a highlight video of your high school career at Triton, what was with the Red Hot Chili Peppers song, interesting choice?
GC: I'm a big red hot chili peppers fan, and the guy that made that for me knows me really well. I was blessed with a great career at Triton and I'm looking for a great one at Valpo.
HC: I hear you are a pretty good golfer and that you plan on pursuing that while at Valpo as well. Any concerns that participating in both sports may end up hurting? If you had to concentrate on one of the two which would you pick?
GC: Golf is also another great passion of mine, I love the mental challenge the game presents. I shoot in the low to mid 70s and played on a great golf team in high school. I do pretty well with managing my time, I've always had to juggle 2 sports in high school so it shouldn't be much of a change. If I had to concentrate on one it would be basketball, that is my true passion. I spent 3 to 4 hours in the gym everyday, I love putting the time in that it takes to be great. Winning feels so much better when you know how hard the path was to get there!
HC: Being from a 1A school doesn't really help an athlete in gaining respect, I went to Washington Township and was a decent baseball player, what do you say to people who might think your numbers were inflated due to where you went to school?
GC: At triton we play a very tough schedule, we continually play good competition year in and year out, for example we play Warsaw, Plymouth, Mishawaka Marian, Rochester. with good players like Nic Moore, Bruce Grimm Jr, Randy Davis, Demetrius Jackson coming from those schools. not to mention the teams we have played in our post season (Bowman Academy, Blackhwak Christian, LCC,) we play stiff competition that allows us to prove ourselves. We are the only 1A school in our conference and in my 4 years we went 26 and 2. My overall record in high school was 96 and 12. Yes we do play some bad teams, but who doesn't?  I think the honors I have received while playing basketball have proven that I am a respected player for the player that I am, not just because I happen to play in the lowest class in Indiana. I would have loved to play for a North Central, Bloomington South or a Warsaw, but that is not the way it worked out, I just did my best with what I was given and it payed off more than I ever imagined.
HC: How tall are you really?  I've seen you listed everywhere from 5'10'' - 6'1''.
GC: I'm 6'1. Yea its crazy last year one schools program listed me as 6'4 that would ne nice :) seems like my height is always messed up
HC: LOL, so I assume this is a walkon situation? Does Valpo give golf scholarships?
GC: I haven't really looked into the scholarship aspects of golf I just contacted the new coach about a walk on spot and when tryouts were. I would like to think that if they do give scholarships that my scores would make me a prime candidate for one

As a former athlete from a small school I am pulling for Griffyn to have success at Valpo.  I'd say he is a long shot for the basketball team due to the number of guys already there and the depth at the guard position, but who knows.  With the way he can shoot the ball it may be hard not to find him a spot on the roster.

Leave your comments here.  For email notification when a new post is made be sure to put your email address in the space provided above this post and click submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment