Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop

Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop
1050 Broadway in Chesterton, Indiana 46304

Monday, September 26, 2011

Predicting the 2011-2012 Season, Part 2

Hank and I made predictions for every game before the season began. We never released part 2. I have not touched it. Hank may update his picks that he has yet to make, but here it is, my thoughts before the season began. Enjoy!

Part 2 of our schedule breakdown takes a look at the games starting in 2012.

Friday, January 6 at Detroit*
HC: The new year starts off with a visit to the team I think will be the elite of the Horizon League this year. Detroit has the best and most athletic players in the league, the only thing holding them back is the coach. I think the players can overcome the coach especially at home and will end the Valpo win streak. Final score 75-66.

BG: As already stated Detroit is the class of the Horizon league this year. They are loaded top to bottom and despite their defense going on break for long stretches they have enough offensive firepower to not need it. Detroit wins this and I don't think it'll be close, 65-82.


Sunday, January 8 at Wright State*
BG: We've seemed to have Wright State's number from the moment we entered the league. I think we'll be looking to blow off some steam after the Detroit game and this is the perfect opportunity to take out some frustration. Valpo wins 71-67.

HC: Valpo ends the road trip weekend at WSU. Wright State has a good front line with Mpondo, Pacher, and Darling. I think the Raiders have lost too much with the departure of Evans, Duggins, and Tabler to win with regularity this year. I will take Valpo 75-70.


Friday, January 13 vs. Youngstown State*
HC: YSU is not a good basketball team, and the VU basketball players have some revenge to seek out for their football brethren. Damian Eargle will do all he can to keep this team competitive. Unfortunately for him, Valpo takes it to the Penguins in their first home game of 2011 and wins in a romp, 82-65.

BG: Youngstown State will show some signs of life this year, but this isn't a game I don't think they'll win. They will be overwhelmed by a team given a big boost by having the student section back from break. Valpo wins big 78-55.

Sunday, January 15 vs. Cleveland State*
BG: Valpo defends their homecourt very well, but they always manage to put up a couple of stinkers for the home folks a year. No Cole no problem for CSU on this night. Harmon, Montgomery, and Pogue will present problems all night. Valpo loses a stunner, 71-75.

HC: Valpo finishes up this home weekend with Cleveland State visiting the ARC. CSU should have another strong year despite the fact they lost the POY in Norris Cole. I will go opposite of Brent and say Valpo is on the winning side, 75-71!



Thursday, January 19 at Loyola*
HC: Avercamp and Hicks are pretty solid players. Valpo comes off a weekend of home victories and experiences a let down on their Chicago road trip opener. I will take Loyola in an upset, 69-60.

BG: Like Valpo Loyola is having a transition year with a new coach. By this point in the season we should know what Loyola is going to be like. I think it is going to be rough especially since Loyola seems to have injury issues on a yearly basis. I think Valpo takes this one, but it'll be close. 65-60

Saturday, January 21 at UIC*
BG: UIC is in the basement of the league and I don't see this being anything, but a trap game for a Valpo team looking ahead to Green Bay. I still think Valpo takes it. 73-65

HC: UIC is not very good. I think Valpo struggles but manages to pull out a victory with a strong second half. Crusaders 72 Flames 65.

Thursday, January 26 at Green Bay*
HC: I think this game could go either way. Green Bay has Alec Brown who can wreak havoc inside on both ends of the court. However, by this time I think the Crusader bigs have come into their own. Valpo earns a nice road win at Green Bay, 68-63.

BG: As I've mentioned before I think Green Bay is going to be a good team this year. Valpo will have been on the road for the past week and that gets a little dicey. I do not believe this will end well with a Valpo loss, 65-73.



Saturday, January 28 at Milwaukee*
BG: We flat out don't play well in Milwaukee. As a matter of fact we've only won 1 conference game there (our first year in the league) and this is also the 4th road game in 9 days. This won't be good. Valpo loses, 58-71.

HC:


Thursday, February 2 vs. Detroit*
HC:

BG: Detroit is flat out the best in the league and the only way I envision Valpo winning this one is either by injuries suffered by Detroit or an off night. By this time of year teams are supposed to be firing on all cylinders and while I believe Valpo will be much improved from the beginning of the year Detroit is still too good. Valpo loses, 68-75.


Saturday, February 4 vs. Wright State*
BG: Wright State is always a tough out, but Valpo seems to have WSU's number. Valpo wins, 75-67.

HC:


Thursday, February 9 at Cleveland State*
HC:

BG: We've never won at CSU and I don't think this is our year. Valpo loses, 58-65.


Saturday, February 11 at Youngstown State*
BG: We've never lost at YSU before, however all the games have been close. I have a bad feeling about this one. I think Valpo loses a squeaker, 75-73.

HC:


Tuesday, February 14 vs. UIC*
HC:

BG: Home sweet home! UIC will be a great fix for what will be a rough swing through Ohio. Valpo wins, 72-65.


Saturday, February 18 at TBA (BracketBuster)
More on this as we get closer.


Tuesday, February 21 vs. Loyola*
BG: The taste of last years awful late season 20 point loss should still ring fresh with the players. I don't believe they will let it happen 2 years in a row. Valpo wins, 75-65.

HC:


Friday, February 24 vs. Butler*
HC:


BG: Valpo and Butler played an absolute thriller in Valpo last year. Brad Stevens is a great coach and I think he will have Butler playing very well by the end of the season. I think it's a thriller, but I believe Valpo will be on the wrong end at home this year. Butler gets payback for the early season loss and Valpo loses, 70-74.

Final Thoughts
BG: I made these predictions 1 game at a time without thinking about overall record or having an idea in my mind about how many games Valpo should win or lose. I have the Crusaders finishing 10-8 in the Horizon League. That fits in well with my prediction of a 5th place finish in the conference(last year's 5th place finisher, Detroit, was 10-8). Depending on how the early season tourney and the Bracket buster game goes I have Valpo winning right around 17 games which I think is appropriate for this team. I do have concerns after seeing how Valpo did in their exhibition games, but I also don't believe we are heading for a 2008-09 season in which we won only 9 games.
HC:

No comments:

Post a Comment