Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop

Cuts and Shaves Barber Shop
1050 Broadway in Chesterton, Indiana 46304

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How I Would #BeatDetroit

I hope the Valpo coaching staff isn't too upset with me waiting until the day before to post how I would #BeatDetroit.  I mean, my report on how I would beat Murray State seemed to work out ok, I can only assume they took my game plan and implemented it to perfection.  Well, maybe not.  Anyway, for your reading pleasure here is how I would go about beating Detroit.

To figure out how to #BeatDetroit I first went back and looked at each of their losses.  Detroit has not won a game without scoring 74 points or more.  Next, I looked at some of their statistics as a team and the individual players (see the PPS post right before this one). I have three options to choose from, and none of them are the Cleveland State pray that they hit only 13/32 foul shots method.

Option 1: Slow it down
One way to win this game is to slow the tempo down.  It is no secret that Detroit likes to get up and down the court.  I suspect they will try to full court trap Valpo and attempt to force turnovers that way.  I really think that will play into Valpo's favor.  Valpo is very turnover prone, but I can't think of one instance where they turned the ball over due to a full court trap.  Assuming the Crusaders get the ball up the court without much a problem it is then just a matter of running their normal offensive sets.  Less then 15 turnovers and I think Valpo wins this game. 

Option 2: Push the pace
Option 1 seems like the safer play, but the more exciting play is to push the pace.  Attempt to wear out the Titans and their 6 man rotation.  If Valpo can get out and run and be under control doing it they might be able to use the deep Crusader bench to their advantage.  I don't think this is the best option mainly because both teams will be well rested having not played since last weekend, but also because a few bad bounces and you are playing Detroit's style.

Option 3: Sag the zone
For the third option I pose that Valpo play mainly a zone defense.  I would sag the zone and have every guy keep at least one foot inside the three point arc.  I'd dare the Titans to shoot the 3 pointers (except for Calliste).  The sagging zone would prevent their guys from penetrating and should keep their good free throw shooters off the line.  Also, whenever Doug Anderson is heading the to the rim; I'd give him a good clean hard foul to make sure he is shooting 2 free throws.

Which option do you like best?  Maybe you have your own ideas?  Please share in the comments section.  Also, don't forget to leave your predictions in the comments section of the predict the final score post and the predict Ryan's stat line post.

#BeatDetroit

No comments:

Post a Comment